I finished my City Tweed sweater last week, and it was hard to wait for it to finish drying. I wanted to wear it right away!
I had wanted to knit “Salina” (Ravelry link) from Vintage Knits (Ravelry link) for ages, but I hadn’t found quite the right yarn that was still within budget. I’m a sucker for basic pullovers with clever details, and I really liked the split neck, tailored collar, and the seed stitch edgings.
I love neutral colors (to the point that it’s become a joke in the office), and I picked out Tabby in City Tweed DK. It’s a gently warm nut brown, and some of the fibers in the heather look almost copper in the sunlight. The neutral tweedy nebs are plentiful, and they stayed put in the yarn while I knit (out of 10 balls, I only had about four or five nebs shed off of the yarn).
This sweater pattern is knit in pieces and then seamed. One problem I ran into was the sleeve cap shaping – the cap didn’t want to fit into the armscye nicely while I was seaming. I eased it in, but it still looked a little bunched up relative to the body of the sweater. I optimistically went forward, finished weaving in my ends, and wet blocked it using Kookaburra – it was magical. The stitches evened out perfectly, and the shoulders settled down into these beautiful, smooth seams.
I did modify the pattern for the width of the sleeves, since I wanted them to be a little more fitted than the pattern called for. I also knit the sleeves in the round up to the sleeve cap, starting with the cuff (instead of adding the cuff at the end as the pattern called for). I’m really pleased with how this one turned out – I’ve already worn it twice!