I recently finished spinning a bunch of the roving that I had dyed with Greener Shades dyes back in February. I was trying to work my way through a bin of older fiber before I allowed myself to play with my new goodies – thinking about it, it’s kind of weird that I create so many rules for myself while working on tasks that are supposed to be purely recreational.
Anyway, I ended up pulling out several braids of dyed Merino that seemed the most fun, then spun them each into a lofty 2-ply bulky weight yarn. I had split each braid in half and then predrafted the fiber without splitting it further, resulting in long color repeats for each single ply. When I plied them together, I got a nice barberpole effect that should work up as subtly shifting stripes.Read more »